Sunday, November 19, 2006

Erin's Daily Commute

It takes about 50 minutes for me to get from home to Italian class every morning, but I can hardly complain about the journey...

On a typical day I leave the apartment at 9:40 and head down the hill to catch the #8 tram into the Centro. I get off the tram at Largo Argentina, an impressive collection of Roman ruins and the location of Rome's famous Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary. Here you can see some of the lazy cats lounging about:


Just past the sanctuary I cross a busy street to arrive at the Catholic clergy shopping district. I'd always assumed that things like vestments, gilded crosses, holy water troughs, communion goblets, and jazzy priest garb were crafted in the hallowed halls of a monastary then lovingly shepherded to their respective churches - not peddled in the Sears and Roebuck equivalent of a sacred goods store.


The shops are really interesting though and I love walking by and checking out the latest habit and robe collection. In Italy, even the nuns have a sense of style.


Window shopping...



Just beyond the holy garments district I walk past Bernini's elephant...


And right beyond that I come upon the Pantheon (from the back)...


Now that I am in a tourist area I begin to see some of these...

...though it is still early and I don't encounter that many tour groups, which can become quite overwhelming later in the day.

Shops carry a much different line of products in this part of the center...



I say "Ciao!" to Pinocchio on my way to the Trevi Fountain...

...where I no longer need to worry about tossing coins because I am living in Rome.


I am nearly to ItaliaIdea at this point and only need to make my way through a few more small streets and I will be to school. But before I get there I'll go through a small fruit market and walk by a classic Italian deli:

No comments: